While we at Woodlands OBGYN treat uterine fibroids, we thought it would be a good time to share more information about them and how you can naturally prevent them via a smart diet.
In short, uterine fibroids are non-cancerous growths that develop in or just outside a woman’s uterus. The fibroids develop from normal uterus muscle cells that grow abnormally and form benign tumors. While there is no known cause for uterine fibroids, women are most likely to get them if they are over 30, if they do not take birth control pills, and who have had children.
All of which lead medical professionals to believe uterine fibroids are affected by estrogen levels. And if you want to aid levels naturally, try these foods:
1. Lean meats – Not only are they full of protein, which our bodies need especially as we age, they also include loads of other minerals such as iron. Good lean meats include skinless chicken, fish, and egg whites. Note that frying these meats is not recommended.
2. Cruciferous vegetables – Also known as spinach, kale, bok choy, turnips, radishes, arugula, cabbage, and broccoli, these veggies aid the liver. As you may know, the liver is charged with detoxifying the body and is also responsible for discharging excess estrogen and other hormones. You can have them raw or cooked.
3. Coconut oil – Not your typical cooking oil, coconut oil is full of beneficial fats and provides a foundation for healthy hormones. You can use it in cooking, and it tastes good enough to take a spoonful.
Stay away from:
• caffeine (stimulates the body)
• alcohol (produces toxics in the body)
• ham and red meat have even been rumored to cause fibroids.
Remember that many things affect your estrogen levels, not just food. These foods are meant as an aid and are just good to eat in general. If you do have a hormonal imbalance or uterine fibroids, talk with your doctor about how to treat it. And if you live in the Houston or Woodlands area, contact us today to schedule a consultation.