Suffering in silence is seldom a good idea, especially when help is available. When the suffering directly concerns a woman’s most intimate relationship, only the most oblivious partner would remain unaware of the existence of a problem. It may be difficult to discuss, but vaginal dryness can be effectively treated by MonaLisa Touch™, an innovative laser procedure recently approved by the FDA. When painful sex is no longer an issue, the relationship can once again be as it was.
Atrophic vaginitis, or vaginal atrophy, creates feelings of discomfort during intercourse and other physical activities; discomfort can range from mild to severe. The root cause of vaginal dryness is less estrogen, a normal occurrence before and/or after menopause, that causes the vaginal wall to become dryer, thinner, and inflamed. Estrogen normally keeps the vagina healthy, thick, slightly lubricated, and elastic. Vaginal atrophy can also cause distressing urinary symptoms in some women, causing embarrassment and greatly affecting their daily activities.
The symptoms of vaginal atrophy can include:
- Vaginal dryness, burning, or discharge
- Genital itching
- Urinary problems, including burning, incontinence, and urinary tract infections
- Painful intercourse
- Vaginal bleeding, which can happen after intercourse but can also occur without it. **Always report vaginal bleeding to your gynecologist.**
If you have any of these symptoms, especially bleeding, call us at Woodlands OBGYN Associates for an appointment today, (281) 364-9898.
Possible causes of vaginal dryness from low estrogen levels include:
- Menopause, including the years preceding menopause, as the estrogen level slowly decreases
- Radiation or chemotherapy for cancer
- A side effect of a hormonal treatment for breast cancer
- Removal of both ovaries
- Smoking can also increase the risk of developing vaginal dryness, as it reduces both necessary oxygen to the vagina and the positive effects of naturally occurring estrogen.
Consider the Innovative MonaLisa Touch™ Procedure
Vaginal moisturizers, lubricants, or estrogen supplements can be helpful; but, for some women, these treatments do not relieve their vaginal dryness. The MonaLisa Touch™ laser treatment could provide an effective solution for vaginal dryness.
The MonaLisa Touch™ uses a thin-dot laser to stimulate collagen production along the vaginal walls. Lasers have long been used as an effective treatment for skin tightening, wrinkle removal, and numerous other cosmetic skin treatments as they encourage new, healthy skin growth. The MonaLisa Touch™ also creates new, supple skin in the vaginal area.
Reported Results from the MonaLisa Touch™ Procedure
- After the first treatment, patients notice more lubrication and “stretchiness”
- Intercourse was much less painful after even the first treatment
- After the third treatment, sex was reported to be significantly better.
Woodlands OBGYN Associates is certified to perform the revolutionary MonaLisa Touch™ procedure for our patients. If you’ve been experiencing any of the symptoms of vaginal dryness, feel free to consult with us to see if this procedure could benefit you.
There is no need for vaginal dryness to continue to complicate life; our doctors and staff are all dedicated, trained healthcare professionals ready to assist you. New patients are always welcomed!