What is Votiva?
Votiva is an FDA-approved system that uses radiofrequency energy to provide vaginal rejuvenation. In Votiva, the RF energy heats and stimulates the cells of the vagina and vulva. This increases collagen and elastin production. Votiva provides three different treatments: Forma V, Morpheus 8, and Aviva. The three treatments utilize different handpieces that deliver uniform radiofrequency energy to remodel existing collagen and trigger new production of collagen and elastin to tighten and improve skin tone of the inner and outer tissues of the vaginal area.
How Does Votiva Work?
At Woodlands OBGYN, our Votiva system provides three different treatments: Forma V, Morpheus 8, and Aviva. All three treatments use radiofrequency energy as their method of rejuvenation, but the procedures are different.
- Forma V — The small handpiece is first placed inside the vagina to deliver sub-dermal heating to the interior tissues. This heats the vaginal mucosa and initiates new collagen and elastin production. This tightens and rejuvenates the vaginal walls. The handpiece tip is then used to deliver the same heating to the outer genitalia. This tightens these tissues.
- Morpheus 8 — The same principles of fractional facial skin resurfacing apply here. The Morpheus 8 handpiece is placed against the outer vaginal tissues and its series of fine pins deliver the radiofrequency energy. This RF energy stimulates the vaginal tissue, immediately remodeling the existing collagen and initiating new production, as well. This tightens the vaginal tissues.
- Aviva — Aviva is a non-excisional alternative to labiaplasty. In contrast to the incisions, recovery time, and possible scarring of traditional labiaplasty, Aviva achieves similar results with only a tiny incision. The Aviva probe is inserted through the tiny incision to deliver RF heat energy beneath the skin and mucosa of the vulva. It is the same technique used in BodyTite and FaceTite, popular skin tightening treatments from InMode.
Would I be a good candidate to have a Votiva treatment?
The process of aging takes a toll across our bodies, and our vaginal tissues aren’t immune. At Woodlands OBGYN, we offer our three Votiva treatments for women who want to reverse the effects of pregnancy, delivery, and natural aging on their vaginal tissues. This would include women after childbirth, perimenopausal and menopausal women, women who want enhanced sexual sensation, women who have some degree of urinary incontinence, and women who want some vaginal cosmetic improvements. These are generally conditions experienced by women approaching menopause or who have completed it.
These are some specific symptoms that good candidates may be experiencing:
- Increased vaginal dryness
- Reduced vaginal sensation
- Increased sexual dysfunction
- Pain during intercourse
- Urinary incontinence from pressure such as coughing
- Redness in the vaginal tissues
- Recurrent Vaginal Infection
What People Say About Us!
What are the advantages of having Votiva treatments?
Our Woodlands OBGYN patients note many benefits from the trio of treatments available with Votiva:
- Non-surgical treatments
- Improves vaginal dryness
- Decreases laxity in the vagina
- Improves appearance of external vaginal tissues
- Increases blood flow
- Strengthens muscles of the vagina
- Enhances vaginal sensitivity
- Decreases pain during intercourse
- Improves mild to moderate urinary incontinence
- Decreases pain caused by labial hypertrophy
- Decreases excess labial tissue
How long will my results from Votiva treatments last?
The new collagen and elastin produced are not going anywhere. The problem is your body’s production of collagen and elastin decreases by one additional percentage point every year after your 20th birthday. So, by your 50th birthday, your body is producing one third less collagen. That’s why your skin slackens with age. This creates lines and wrinkles and thinning skin on the face. In the vaginal area, it creates laxity and sagging labia. Childbirth only accelerates the process. You should experience a difference in sensation, tightness, and appearance for up to one year. Yearly treatments can maintain your results. This varies with the patient.
What Can I Expect During Treatment?
Votiva treatments are relatively painless for most women. During the process, patients typically report a comfortable warming sensation. Because Votiva may involve the insertion of a small probe, some women experience minor discomfort that is similar to a routine gynecological exam. Votiva treatments involve:
- The application of ultrasound gel to the FormaV wand applicator. The wand is heated to about 95 degrees Fahrenheit. This is comparable to normal body temperature, so patients should not expect a dramatic sensation of heat.
- The provider gently inserts the wand into the vaginal canal.
- Once in place lengthwise, the wand is carefully rotated to evenly distribute heat to the vaginal lining.
Treatment typically lasts 30 minutes or less, though duration may vary based on each patient’s objectives.
What Is The Downtime From Votiva Treatments?
Patients typically return to most normal activities the day of treatment. A handful of exceptions may apply. These include sexual intercourse, hot tub use, swimming, and baths, which should all be avoided for 3 days after treatment.
Are The Results From Votiva Treatments Permanent?
Votiva is designed to achieve prolonged results for women of all ages. Barring pregnancy and childbirth, patients can expect the vaginal tightening effects of Votiva treatment to last quite a long time. That said, the vaginal lining and external genitalia are affected by aging just as skin anywhere else on the body. After some time, the lack of new collagen growth in the vaginal area will result in the gradual return of laxity and other symptoms. Women may schedule occasional touch-up sessions to prolong the results of Votiva.
Is Votiva Safe?
Votiva is generally considered to be a safe and effective method of non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation. This vaginal rejuvenation device utilizes advanced automated technology that ensures the uniform delivery of controlled heat to the vaginal lining. The device has temperature sensors and automatic cutoffs that shut the machine down if temperature surpasses a set threshold.
In our experience, the process is not only safe and effective but also comfortable. Most patients feel only mild warmth during their sessions. We understand that even non-surgical vaginal rejuvenation can feel uncomfortable. Our team provides care with the utmost professionalism and compassion in which all available strategies for comfort are used.
Is Votiva Covered By Insurance?
Votiva treatments achieve cosmetic, physical, intimate, and emotional benefits. Regardless of the reason for undergoing this nonsurgical procedure, insurance companies deem it elective and do not provide coverage.
Additional information with before and after pictures