How often will I have ultrasounds?
We understand how exciting it is to see your baby on ultrasound during pregnancy and enjoy sharing this wonderful experience with your family!
There are several ultrasounds that are routinely performed during pregnancy, and some ultrasounds that are optional.
At Woodlands OBGYN Associates, we routinely do the following ultrasounds:
- Ultrasound at your initial prenatal visit to confirm the pregnancy viability and determine how far along the pregnancy has progressed.
- Ultrasound at the end of the first trimester to look at the fold on the back of the baby’s neck which is called the nuchal translucency. If this fold is thickened, it can potentially be linked to chromosomal or cardiac problems with the baby.
- Ultrasound at 19-20 weeks for a detailed anatomy survey of the baby.
If you have a normal low risk pregnancy, these are the only three ultrasounds that you will have. If you have high risk issues, or develop high risk issues, the indication for further ultrasounds may change.
The following are optional ultrasounds:
- An ultrasound can be performed at 16 weeks to determine the gender of the baby, there is a $75.00 charge for this ultrasound. An ultrasound at this time also does not guarantee that we will be able to determine the gender.
- We recommended a third trimester ultrasound at 32 weeks to look at the anatomy of the baby, the amniotic fluid, the placenta, the position of the baby, and the growth. This is recommended but unfortunately is not covered by insurance if you are having a normal low risk pregnancy. The cost for this ultrasound is approximately $155.00.
You do not have to have any of the above ultrasounds, but there are risks associated with not having these ultrasounds performed. This includes the risk of an undiagnosed anomaly your baby and other problems with your pregnancy. It is also important to understand that an ultrasound does not detect or diagnose all fetal anomalies or problems.
In addition, the recommendation of your provider to have an ultrasound does not in any way guarantee or imply any level of insurance coverage. If your insurance does not cover an ultrasound you are financially responsible for that cost.
The above recommendations may change if you are being followed by MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine).
Schedule Your Ultrasound
Please call our office today at 281-364-9898 to schedule your appointment.