Pregnancy is a wonderful and exciting time, but it also comes with routine evaluations to ensure the pregnancy is healthy and moving along as expected. One of the diagnostic tools used throughout pregnancy is that of the ultrasound. At Woodlands OBGYN Associates in The Woodlands, TX, we work with women to educate them on the benefits of routine ultrasounds.
What are pregnancy ultrasounds?
Pregnancy ultrasounds are performed during various times throughout the three trimesters of pregnancy. With the use of high-frequency soundwaves, doctors can safely create images and video of the developing babies while evaluating the reproductive organs throughout pregnancy. Also known as a sonogram, these ultrasound appointments may be extremely critical in diagnosing a wide range of problems that can occur during pregnancy and monitor for healthy growth and development.
What types of ultrasounds are available?
There are different types of ultrasounds that may be done during pregnancy appointment, including:
- Standard ultrasound
- Transvaginal ultrasound
- 3D ultrasound
- 4D ultrasound
- Fetal echocardiography
Why might I have ultrasounds performed during my prenatal visits?
Ultrasounds are used for a variety of reasons when women are in various stages of their pregnancies. Ultrasounds may be ordered if there is a concern that arises during previous imaging or blood tests. Ultrasounds may be used to:
- Confirm pregnancy
- Check the fetal heartbeat
- Look for abnormal growth or development of the fetus
- Diagnose ectopic pregnancy
- Examine the reproductive organs
- Check for multiple pregnancies
- Determine gestational age of the fetus for estimating due dates
- Determine the sex of the fetus
- Guide testing such as amniocentesis
- Monitor for congenital abnormalities or birth defects
- Check for characteristics of Down syndrome
- Check for placenta previa or placental abruption
- Monitor levels of amniotic fluid
- Diagnose pregnancy tumors of the uterus or ovaries
- Measure the cervix length
- Confirm intrauterine death
As you will see, ultrasounds can be used in many ways throughout pregnancy to monitor mother and baby and provide critical information to medical staff.
Are you pregnant and interested in diagnostic ultrasounds or evaluations?
Connect with Drs. Rielly, Westmoreland, Syal, and Everson of Woodlands OBGYN Associates today to learn more about ultrasounds. We are located at 17183 I-45, Suite #610 in The Woodlands, TX and can be reached by phone at (281) 364-9898.