Laparoscopy is a Very Common Procedure
Laparoscopic surgery is the most common procedure used to diagnose and treat causes of pelvic pain, such as endometriosis and ovarian cysts. Instead of using a large abdominal incision, the surgeon inserts a lighted viewing instrument called a laparoscope through a small incision. Directly viewing the pelvic organs is the only way to confirm whether you have endometriosis.
Checking & Treating Pelvic Issues with Laparoscopy
Laparoscopy is used to examine the pelvic organs and to remove implants and endometrial scar tissue. When examining and viewing the pelvic region with the laparoscope, if endometriosis or scar tissue needs to be removed, we will use one of various techniques to do so. Surgical techniques include: cutting and removing tissue (excision), or destroying it with a laser beam or electric current (electrocautery).
This procedure is typically used for checking and treating:
- Severe endometriosis and scar tissue that is thought to be interfering with internal organs, such as the bowel or bladder.
- Endometriosis pain that has continued or returned after hormone therapy.
- Severe endometriosis pain (some women and their doctors choose to skip medicine treatment).
- An endometriosis cyst on an ovary (endometrioma).
- Endometriosis as a possible cause of infertility. The Woodlands OBGYN surgeon usually removes any visible implants and scar tissue. This may improve fertility.
*** Post op recovery time is usually rapid, over 3-5 days. Full recovery is within 2 weeks.
Woodlands OBGYN Associates Gives You Options
Our office offers a wide range of treatments for pelvic pain, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, infertility, and ovarian cysts using operative laparoscopy. Depending on your unique medical situation, the experienced physicians of Woodlands OBGYN will work with you to help determine which options will best meet your needs and help you live well!
What People Say About Us!
"Very nice office. Staff very friendly and helpful. Dr. Syal spent good quality time with me while I asked questions. They also respond to your email inquiries very quickly."
- Shawn V
Click here to read more reviews.