At Woodlands OBGYN Associates, we understand that you may be concerned about how your lifestyle may impact your baby’s development during the nine months of pregnancy. Our team is here to educate you on the ways in which you can reduce risks during this time to improve your chances of having a healthy pregnancy and child!
What Can I Do To Increase My Chances of a Healthy Pregnancy?
- Get preconception care. It is vital that you visit your health care provider at Woodlands OBGYN Associates of The Woodlands, TX, before trying to conceive in order to discuss any existing or potential health issues, such as diabetes or high blood pressure. This will help determine if special care or medications are needed before becoming pregnant.
- Eat a balanced diet. Make sure to include foods from all five food groups (fruits and vegetables, grains, dairy, lean proteins, and healthy fats) in your diet for proper nutrition for both you and your growing baby. Taking a multivitamin can also ensure you are getting all the necessary vitamins and minerals.
- Exercise regularly. Participating in regular physical activity has been associated with improved fertility and fewer complications during pregnancy. Make your goal at least 30 minutes a day of physical movement at least five days a week with your doctor’s approval.
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco. Avoid drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes, or chewing tobacco during pregnancy as both can cause serious birth defects.
- Limit caffeine intake. Evidence suggests that caffeine may increase the risk of infertility and miscarriage, so it is best to limit your intake to 200 milligrams each day, which is equal to about one 12-ounce cup of coffee.
- Manage stress levels. High stress levels can interfere with fertility. Manage your stress levels with relaxing activities such as yoga, meditation, or even just taking some time for yourself. This can be beneficial for both you and your baby.
- Be aware of environmental toxins. Exposure to certain environmental toxins, such as lead, mercury, and pesticides, can harm the developing baby, so make sure to avoid these substances when possible.
Schedule an Appointment With Our Team at Woodlands OBGYN Associates Today!
By following the above steps, you can help ensure you have a healthy pregnancy for both you and your growing baby. However, if you have any questions or concerns, it is essential that you talk with your healthcare provider right away. Call 281-364-9898 to request a visit at our Woodlands, TX, area office to learn more about the steps you can take to ensure a healthy pregnancy!