During pregnancy, women spend a lot of time at their OBGYN to make sure that their baby is growing as expected and all is progressing in a healthy, expected way. During the development of a child, a lot can go wrong, and it is important to monitor the progress through all three trimesters to ensure the safety of the baby—and the mother. Additionally, there are many screenings that can be performed over the course of a pregnancy to ensure that the process is seamless and the experience is positive. At Woodlands OBGYN Associates, we encourage many women to consider the advantages of genetic screening tests to monitor for various abnormalities or developmental concerns.
What is genetic testing?
Genetic testing involves many different types of tests that can be performed to monitor for possible problems throughout pregnancy. It may be done during ultrasound appointments or with simple blood tests to evaluate DNA. Through this, many answers can be obtained to help inform both the doctor and the mother of any concerns.
What should I ask my doctor about?
There are several questions women might want to ask their doctor regarding genetic testing. They may include:
- Why should I have genetic testing performed?
- Which genetic tests and screenings should I have performed?
- When should I have genetic testing done?
- What are the tests looking for?
- What happens if I receive a positive test result?
- Can a false positive or false negative occur?
- What are the risks in performing these genetic tests?
- What are the risks in NOT performing these genetic tests?
- What else should I consider outside of traditional genetic testing?
- What are my options if my child is deformed or has special needs?
Are you pregnant and interested in genetic testing?
Contact Drs. Rielly, Westmoreland, Syal, and Everson of Woodlands OBGYN Associates of The Woodlands, TX to request a consultation appointment and discuss the benefits of genetic testing and screening during your pregnancy. The practice is located at 17183 I-45 #610 and can be reached by phone by calling 281-364-9898. The office is always accepting new patients from in and around the community seeking comprehensive OBGYN care.