If you’re trying to get pregnant, you could be trying all sorts of things to improve your chances. So, even when you’re trying to get pregnant, it can be a shock to find out you’ve actually done it! When you realize you really are pregnant, the thoughts can start swirling: are you ready for this? Do you have enough money? Will your work take it well?
But, don’t let the worries take over. Having a baby is a wonderful thing, and there are ways to feel empowered instead of overwhelmed. Read books and actively participate in your pregnancy plan. Plan ahead and write down your questions before you see your OB/GYN. Keep reading for a good list of questions to ask your OB/GYN during your first appointment.
- Do I have an increased risk of any complications or conditions? What might need to be changed in my birth plan because of these factors?
- Is exercise safe for me to continue doing during my pregnancy? Are there certain kinds of exercise I should avoid? Some new things I should try?
- What symptoms should I expect throughout my pregnancy, and how can I manage them?
- What is your position on inductions? Scheduled c-sections? Epidurals and other pain medications? Episiotomies? Vacuum and forceps usage? IVs and EFMs? Delayed cord clamping? What are my options regarding complications?
- When is a good time to call you with questions? If you aren’t available, do you have someone else I should contact?
- Are there any restrictions I should be aware of if I choose to travel while I’m pregnant?
- What changes might I need to make in my beauty routine? Should I avoid dyeing or bleaching my hair?
- What over-the-counter medications are safe for me to take, and in what dosage? Are there any medications that I should strictly avoid?
- Are the prescription medications I’m currently taking safe? (Come prepared with a list of medications/supplements/vitamins you take.)
You’ve got this, momma! If you’re looking for a great OB/GYN, call us today at (281) 364-9898 to schedule a consultation.