Even though we are aware of our bodies and how they work, there are still times when women in The Woodlands, TX, may be experiencing changes to their reproductive organs that can cause confusion and worry. At Woodlands OBGYN Associates, our team often sees women concerned about unusual, abnormal, or unscheduled bleeding. It is essential that individuals experiencing these changes see a professional for an evaluation to determine the cause and discuss treatment options.
What is causing my abnormal bleeding?
There are many possible causes of abnormal bleeding, ranging from simple things like a change in your hormone levels to more serious problems like cancer. Some of the more common causes of abnormal bleeding include:
- Hormonal imbalances: Significant changes in your hormone levels can cause irregular or heavy bleeding. This is often seen in women who have just started or stopped taking birth control pills or during perimenopause (the transition into menopause).
- Uterine fibroids: Uterine fibroids are best described as non-cancerous growths in the uterus that can cause heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: PCOS is a hormonal disorder that can cause irregular periods and excess hair growth.
- Endometriosis: Endometriosis is a reproductive medical condition in which the tissue that lines the uterus grows outside of the uterus, resulting in painful and heavy periods.
- Cancer: While cancer is not a common cause of abnormal bleeding, it can occasionally be the cause. If you are postmenopausal or have irregular bleeding, it is vital to see a doctor as this could be an indication of endometrial cancer.
If you are experiencing abnormal bleeding, you must see a doctor at Woodlands OBGYN Associates in The Woodlands, TX, so that the cause can be properly diagnosed and treated. Treatment will vary depending on the underlying cause but may include hormone therapy, surgery, or chemotherapy. We can walk women through their treatment options to help them resolve their issues and put their minds at ease.
Learn more about changes in your reproductive health
Whether you are in need of a pregnancy test or are dealing with abnormal or unusual menstrual bleeding, our team at Woodlands OBGYN Associates can assist! Drs. Kellyn Rielly, Holly Westmoreland, Raj Syal, and Jenna Everson of The Woodlands, TX, are available to help new and returning patients seeking comprehensive reproductive care. Call 281-364-9898 to request a consultation visit with our staff.